Phone: 251-626-3303 ext. 7146
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)
Student Records Policy — Notification of Rights
Students have the following rights with respect to their educational records:
- The right to review their educational records–requests by students to access their educational records should be made to the Registrar, the head of the unit holding the records.
- The right to challenge–Students may challenge the content, release, denial, and/or access to their educational records.
- The right to have directory information classified as confidential–Students can request that directory information not be released to third parties unless written permission has been granted by said students. Directory information includes information, such as: name, address, telephone number, date of birth, dates of attendance, major, degrees awarded, etc. However, FERPA regulations allow exceptions, which are detailed in the College’s Student Records Policy, located in the Faulkner State Catalog and Handbook.
The right to file a complaint–Students can file complaints with the U.S. Department of Education regarding alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of the FERPA. The following agency oversees the FERPA:
The Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202-4605
Note: Please be advised that only students have the right to inspect their respective educational records.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I just completed my courses. What is my next step?
- Your professors have 10 business days from the completion of your course to submit your official grades in each class; once all grades have been submitted you will be able to view your cumulative GPA (among other things) in the Student Portal.
As a side note: you may submit your unofficial registration request prior to official grades being posted to your record. This will avoid further delays in processing your courses. You may submit an unofficial registration for your next set of courses on the Student Portal under Student Services then select Registration.
- How long do I have until I need to start my next semester?
- Your next semester will begin when your registration request completes the cycle and the registration receives approval from all departments including: Registrar, Academics and Financial Aid. This usually takes up to 14 business days processing time, but sometimes sooner. You will be notified by the Registrar via email to your student email account of your access to the CMS once your registration has been ‘officially’ processed.
- I think I want to change my degree from Sports Management to Sports Coaching…how do I do this?
- Complete the student information change form.
If you have any other questions or need anything else in the meantime, please email the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alumni Membership Opportunity For Students
We would like extend to you the opportunity to join thousands of other Academy alumni from around the globe in one of the most prestigious networks in the sport world. Through the Alumni Association every Academy student can “network” with other alumni to exchange professional information, career advancement information, or just “plain old communication” between people with common ground.
Some of the benefits you will receive along with your membership are:
- A 10% discount at the Academy’s Sports Bookstore (a major advantage for current students needing to purchase books for their courses)
- Access to our career website
- Academy publications such as The Sport Update and The Alumni Network